5 Great New OpenStack Tips and Guides
- November 20, 2017
- Posted by: Sujeet Nayak
- Category: OpenStack
Keeping up with the ever-changing technological landscape can be a daunting task. This challenge is painfully real in the world of enterprise cloud software. It seems that every passing day introduces a brand new application or tool that might be a part of a company’s technology stack. As for you, there is no option, but to keep up with the trends.
However, if you are using open source cloud infrastructure and in particular OpenStack, the job of keeping up is sort of easier because there is a large number of resources available for you to understand all that you need to know. In addition to the official project documentation, you will also support and documentation from your distribution of choice, certification & training programs and printed books. There is also no dearth of community-created resources to help you out whenever you feel stuck.
Given below are some of the community-contributed tutorials and guides for OpenStack that have been published recently. You might find these helpful. So, here we go…
- OpenStack is known for its flexibility for rolling out cloud infrastructure and one of the things that make it a flexible tool is that you have numerous options for almost every component. As for the storage, Ceph is the most popular option when it comes to backend.
- Last month, the upstream OpenStack Pike released and with it, the OpenStack distributions and the projects that were based on the upstream have been hard at work since they are preparing to incorporate the new release into their software. Only a few days ago, the general availability of the Pike build was released by the RDO community.
- OpenStack has a release schedule of twice every year. With such a schedule, it is not feasible for you to upgrade your production cloud every cycle. You can skip level upgrades and by doing so, you will be able to move between several versions of OpenStack in the same process of update. This might be one solution for you, but make sure to study all the technical considerations before making your decision. You need to absolutely be sure whether this move is feasible for your installation or not.
- At times, all you really need is the right commands at your fingertips. The OpenStack command-line client has a very detailed help interface. It will be good if you can print it out and pin it up at your desk so that whenever you need it, it is right there for you.
- The components of OpenStack can also have its use outside of OpenStack clouds. The installation utility that makes use of OpenStack’s native components in order to deploy OpenStack, TripleO, can be made use of for other installations as well.
The above-mentioned tips and guideline will help you to be up-to-date with all the happenings and changes in the world of OpenStack. You will be able to gain a better understanding and insight about the technology, and ultimately, gather the skill required to make optimal use of the technology for the success of your organization. If you are still in need for more information or wish to hone your skills, you can always enroll yourself for training and certification programs that are specifically designed to boost your knowledge and skills.
By following the guide mentioned above, understanding the ins and outs of OpenStack will no longer be a problem! Follow the 5 tips and tricks to showcase your OpenStack expertise. As you continue working, you will learn everyday and don’t forget to religiously go through community discussions on OpenStack as these discussions often have the answer to the simplest to toughest question in the industry.